Ali Mohammadzadeh (Ph.D.)
Faculty Vice-Dean for Research
No. 1346, Vali-Asr
Street, Mirdamad Crossing,
Remote Sensing Dept, Geomatics Eng. Faculty
K.N.Toosi University of Tech. , Tehran - Iran
Postal Code: 1996715433
Postal Box: 158754416
Tel: (+98 21) 88888445
Fax: (+98 21) 88786213
Cell: (+98) 9124752961
- Ph.D., 2009, Remote Sensing & Photogrammetry Department, Faculty of Geodesy & Geomatics Engineering, K. N. Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.
- M.Sc., 2003, Remote Sensing & Photogrammetry Department, Faculty of Geodesy & Geomatics Engineering, K. N. Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.
- B.S., 2000, Remote Sensing & Photogrammetry Department, Faculty of Geodesy & Geomatics Engineering, K. N. Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.
- LiDAR technology and its applications (Terrestrial, Mobile, UAV, Aerial and Satellite LiDAR)
- Application of Remote Sensing in Disaster Management (Dust, Fire, Earthquake, Flooding)
- Bio-Geomatics (such as Image Processing in Medical Applications)
- Artificial Intelligence (Fuzzy Logic, ANN) and Evolutionary Optimization
- Image Processing and Analysis, Pattern Recognition and Feature Extraction
- Remote Sensing Calibration and In-Situ Measurements (ASD Spectro-radiometer, Pyranometer)
- Optical, Thermal, Multispectral, UAV or Satellite data processing
Professional Experiences (All in K.N.Toosi University of Technology)
- 2018-current: Faculty Vice-Dean in Research & IT
- 2015-current: Associate Professor
- 2014-2018: Head of Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing Department
- 2010-2014: Assistant Professor
- 2003-2009: Research and Teaching Assistant, K.N.Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
- 2009-current: Licensed surveyor in Tehran, Iran
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
1. A Moghimi, A Mohammadzadeh, T Celik, M Amani, 2020, A Novel Radiometric Control Set Sample Selection Strategy for Relative Radiometric Normalization of Multitemporal Satellite Images, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing (Early Access).
2. S Khanbani, A Mohammadzadeh, M Janalipour, 2020, A novel unsupervised change detection method from remotely sensed imagery based on an improved thresholding algorithm, Applied Geomatics, 1-17.
3. M Farahani, A Mohammadzadeh, 2020, Domain adaptation for unsupervised change detection of multisensor multitemporal remote-sensing images, International Journal of Remote Sensing 41 (10), 3902-3923.
4. S Khanbani, A Mohammadzadeh, M Janalipour, 2020, Unsupervised change detection of remotely sensed images from rural areas based on using the hybrid of improved Thresholding techniques and particle swarm optimization, Earth Science Informatics, 1-14.
5. SA Kianejad Tejenaki, H Ebadi, A Mohammadzadeh, 2020, Automatic Road Detection and Extraction From MultiSpectral Images Using a New Hierarchical Object-based Method, Journal of Geomatics Science and Technology 9 (3), 13-27.
6. M Amani, M Kakooei, A Moghimi, A Ghorbanian, B Ranjgar, S Mahdavi, A Davidson, T Fisette, P Rollin, B Brisco, A Mohammadzadeh, 2020, Application of Google Earth Engine Cloud Computing Platform, Sentinel Imagery, and Neural Networks for Crop Mapping in Canada, Remote Sensing 12 (21), 3561.
7. SA Ahmadi, A Ghorbanian, A Mohammadzadeh, 2019, Moving vehicle detection, tracking and traffic parameter estimation from a satellite video: a perspective on a smarter city, International Journal of Remote Sensing 40 (22), 8379-8394.
8. SAK Tejenaki, H Ebadi, A Mohammadzadeh, 2019, A new hierarchical method for automatic road centerline extraction in urban areas using LIDAR data, Advances in Space Research 64 (9), 1792-1806.
9. M Janalipour, A Mohammadzadeh, 2019, A novel and automatic framework for producing building damage map using post-event LiDAR data, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 39, 101238.
10. A Ghorbanian, MR Sahebi, A Mohammadzadeh, 2019, Optimization approach to retrieve soil surface parameters from single-acquisition single-configuration SAR data, Comptes Rendus Geoscience 351 (4), 332-339.
11. M Janalipour, A Mohammadzadeh, 2018, Evaluation of effectiveness of three fuzzy systems and three texture extraction methods for building damage detection from post-event LiDAR data, International journal of digital earth, Vol. 11 (12), 1241-1268.
12. A Ghorbanian, A Mohammadzadeh, 2018, An unsupervised feature extraction method based on band correlation clustering for hyperspectral image classification using limited training samples, Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 9 (10), 982-991.
13. M Salehi, Y Maghsoudi, A Mohammadzadeh, 2017, Assessment of the potential of H/A/Alpha decomposition for polarimetric interferometric SAR data, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 56 (4), 2440-2451
14. M Izadi, A Mohammadzadeh, A Haghighattalab, 2017, A new neuro-fuzzy approach for post-earthquake road damage assessment using GA and SVM classification from QuickBird satellite images, Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Vol. 45 (6), 965-977.
15. A Moghimi, A Mohammadzadeh, S Khazai, 2017, Integrating thresholding with level set method for unsupervised change detection in multitemporal SAR images, Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 43 (5), 412-431.
16. A Moghimi, S Khazai, A Mohammadzadeh, 2017, An improved fast level set method initialized with a combination of k-means clustering and Otsu thresholding for unsupervised change detection from SAR images, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, Vol. 10 (13), 293.
17. M Salehi, A Mohammadzadeh, Y Maghsoudi, 2017, Adaptive speckle filtering for time series of polarimetric SAR Images, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote sensing, Vol 10(6), 2841-2848.
18. A Salehi, A Mohammadzadeh, 2017, Building roof reconstruction based on residue anomaly analysis and shape descriptors from lidar and optical data, Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 83 (4), 281-291.
19. M Janalipour, A Mohammadzadeh, 2017, A fuzzy-ga based decision making system for detecting damaged buildings from high-spatial resolution optical images, Remote Sensing, 9 (4), 349.
20. M Eslami, A Mohammadzadeh, 2017, A novel method for urban land cover mapping based on new vegetation indices and texture-spectral information from fused visible and hyperspectral thermal infrared airborne data, European Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 50 (1), 320-331.
21. YJ Goldarag, A Mohammadzadeh, AS Ardakani, 2016, Fire risk assessment using neural network and logistic regression, Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Vol. 44 (6), 885-894.
22. MRG Razin, B Voosoghi, A Mohammadzadeh, 2016, Efficiency of artificial neural networks in map of total electron content over Iran, Acta Geodaetica et Geophysica, Vol. 51 (3), 541-555.
23. Z Ghassabi, J Shanbehzadeh, A Mohammadzadeh, 2016, A structure-based region detector for high-resolution retinal fundus image registration, Biomedical signal processing and control, Vol. 23, 52-61.
24. M Eslami, A Mohammadzadeh, 2015, Developing a spectral-based strategy for urban object detection from airborne hyperspectral TIR and visible data, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 9(5), 1808-1816.
25. Z Ghassabi, J Shanbehzadeh, A Mohammadzadeh, SS Ostadzadeh, 2015, Colour retinal fundus image registration by selecting stable extremum points in the scale-invariant feature transform detector, IET image processing, Vol. 9 (10), 889-900.
26. A Zarea, A Mohammadzadeh, 2015, A novel building and tree detection method from LiDAR data and aerial images, IEEE Journal of selected topics in applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 9(5), 1864-1875.
27. M Janalipour, A Mohammadzadeh, 2015, Building damage detection using object-based image analysis and ANFIS from high-resolution image (Case study: BAM earthquake, Iran), IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol 9(5), 1937-1945.
28. SB Shams, A Mohammadzadeh, 2015, A novel aerosol load index using MODIS visible bands: Applied to south-west part of Iran, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 8(3), 1167-1175.
29. S Dehnavi, A Mohammadzadeh, 2015, New edge adaptive GIHS-BT-SFIM fusion method and class-based approach investigation, International Journal of Image and Data Fusion 6 (1), 65-78.
30. N Ghasemi, A Mohammadzadeh, MR Sahebi, 2015, Assessment of different topographic correction methods in ALOS AVNIR-2 data over a forest area, International Journal of Digital Earth 6 (5), 504-520.
31. M Nikfar, MJV Zoej, A Mohammadzadeh, M Mokhtarzade, A Navabi, 2012, Optimization of multiresolution segmentation by using a genetic algorithm, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 6 (1), 063592.
32. M Kabolizade, H Ebadi, 2012, A Mohammadzadeh, Design and implementation of an algorithm for automatic 3D reconstruction of building models using genetic algorithm, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, Vol. 19, 104-114.
33. N Ghasemi, MR Sahebi, A Mohammadzadeh, 2012, Biomass estimation of a temperate deciduous forest using wavelet analysis, IEEE transactions on geoscience and remote sensing, Vol. 51 (2), 765-776.
34. S Yavari, MJV Zoej, A Mohammadzadeh, M Mokhtarzade, 2012, Particle swarm optimization of RFM for georeferencing of satellite images, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 10 (1), 135-139.
35. AB Jahromi, MJV Zoej, A Mohammadzadeh, S Sadeghian, 2011, A novel filtering algorithm for bare-earth extraction from airborne laser scanning data using an artificial neural network, IEEE journal of selected topics in applied earth observations and remote sensing, Vol. 4(4), 836-843.
36. AS Ardakani, MJV Zoej, A Mohammadzadeh, A Mansourian, 2010, Spatial and temporal analysis of fires detected by MODIS data in northern Iran from 2001 to 2008, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 4(1), 216-225.
37. S Ahmadi, MJV Zoej, H Ebadi, HA Moghaddam, A Mohammadzadeh, 2010, Automatic urban building boundary extraction from high resolution aerial images using an innovative model of active contours, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, Vol. 12 (3), 150-157.
38. A Haghighattalab, MJ Valadan Zoej, A Mohammadzadeh, 2010, Détection de dommages et évaluation des dégâts du réseau routier après un séisme, en utilisant des images QuickBird haute resolution, XYZ, Vol. 124, 41-47.
39. A Mohammadzadeh, MJ Valadan Zoej, 2010, A self-organizing fuzzy segmentation (SOFS) method for road detection from high resolution satellite images, Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 76 (1), 27-35.
40. N Ekhtari, MJV Zoej, MR Sahebi, A Mohammadzadeh, 2009, Automatic building extraction from LIDAR digital elevation models and WorldView imagery, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, Vol. 3 (1), 033571.
41. A Mohammadzadeh, MJV Zoej, A Tavakoli, 2009, Automatic main road extraction from high resolution satellite imageries by means of particle swarm optimization applied to a fuzzy-based mean calculation approach, Journal of the Indian society of remote sensing, Vol. 37 (2), 173.
42. A Mohammadzadeh, MJ Zoej, A Tavakoli, 2008, Automatic main road extraction from high resolution satellite imageries by means of self-learning Fuzzy-GA algorithm, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, Vol. 8 (19), 3431-3438.
43. A Mansourian, MJ Valadan Zoej, A Mohammadzadeh, M Farnaghi, 2008, Design and implementation of an on-demand feature extraction web service to facilitate development of spatial data infrastructures Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, Vol. 32 (5), 377-385.
44. A Moghtaderi, F Moore, A Mohammadzadeh, 2007, The application of advanced space-borne thermal emission and reflection (ASTER) radiometer data in the detection of alteration in the Chadormalu paleocrater, Bafq region, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, Vol. 30 (2), 238-252.
45. A Mohammadzadeh, A Tavakoli, MJ Valadan Zoej, 2006, Road extraction based on fuzzy logic and mathematical morphology from pan‐sharpened IKONOS images, The photogrammetric record, Vol. 21 (113), 44-60.
Dissertation and Thesis
- Mohammadzadeh, A. 2009, Automatic road extraction from high resolution satellite images using fuzzy logic and mathematical morphology. A dissertation for fulfillment of a Doctor of Philosophy degree in the Department of Photogrammetry& Remote Sensing, K.N.Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.
Invited to the Conferences and International Schools
- Co-chair of the Technical Session V- Feature Extraction from SAR Images: ISPRS Commission VIIWG 2 & WG 7 Conference on Information Extraction from SAR and Optical Data, with emphasis on Developing Countries 16-18 May 2007 ISTANBUL
- Organizer of the Special Session “Artificial neural networks applications in Remote Sensing and Geomatics engineering” in 11th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (IWANN2011).
- Referee Committee Member of Geomatics conference held jointly by NCC & ISPRS, Tehran, Iran, 2011, 2012, 2013.
- Teaching some lessons about “Disaster Management using RS data” in Iran-French Summer School, 7th-10th of July 2018.
- General Chair of the “Second Bioday Conference” of K.N.Toosi University, 7th of January 2020. http://bioday.kntu.ac.ir/fa/
- Organizing a special issue in IEEE JSTAR by me and 3 other experts a while ago:
- Manager of the four following Sessions in IEEE IGARSS2020:
Awards and Honors
- Excellent student of the National Intellect School in Ardabil Province Branch, North-West of Iran, 1996
- The third rank student among Geomatics & Geodesy B.Sc. students, January 2000
- The first rank student among Remote Sensing M.Sc. students, January 2003
- Remote Sensing Exemplary Researcher Award, K.N.Toosi University of Technology, December 2005
- Remote Sensing Exemplary Researcher Award, K.N.Toosi University of Technology, February 2008
- Remote Sensing Exemplary Researcher Award, K.N.Toosi University of Technology, February 2007
- Awarded an scholarship from UN and ISPRS to attend the International School for LiDAR Technology 31 April to 4 May 2008 Kanpur, India
- Erasmusmundes Scholarship award for One-month scientific visit from Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation, Twente University, Under supervision of Dr. Kourosh Khoshelham, 2013.
International Conferences (Selected Ones)
1) Mohammadzadeh, A., Tavakoli, A., Valadan Zoej, M.J., 2004. "Automatic linear feature extraction of Iranian road from high resolution multi-spectral satellite imagery", International Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Istanbul, Turkey, PS ThS 12: Automated Object Extraction and Computer Vision Application, July, 2004, 13:30 - 15:30
2) Mohammadzadeh, A., Valadan Zoej, M.J., Tavakoli, A., 2006. "An overview to the applications of airborne lidar systems", 2006, The 13th Australian Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Conference, Sensor Technologies (2) High Spatial Resolution, 23 November, Canberra, Australia.
3) Mohammadzadeh, A., Valadan Zoej, M.J., Tavakoli, A., 2006. "Semi-automatic planimetric feature extraction from landsat TM imagery using fuzzy reasoning rules", 2006, The 13th Australian Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Conference, Regional Mapping Programs: NSW Experience, 24 November, Canberra, Australia.
4) Mohammadzadeh, A., Valadan Zoej, M.J., Tavakoli, A., 2007. "New fusion method applied on IKONOS satellite images of urban and rural areas". 4th IEEE/ISPRS joint conference: on Urban Remote Sensing, Paris, France. 11-13 April.
5) Mohammadzadeh, A., Valadan Zoej, M.J., Tavakoli, A., 2007, Automatic class mean calculation of road surface from IKONOS images using fuzzy logic and particle swarm optimization, Photogrammetric Image Analysis (PIA07), 19-21 September, Munich, Germany.
6) Ekhtari, N., Sahebi, M.R., Valadan Zoej, M.J., Mohammadzadeh, A., 2008, Automatic Building Extraction from LIDAR Point Cloud Data, International Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Beijing, China, PS WGIV/3: Automated Geo-spatial Data Acquisition and Mapping, July, 2008, 13:30 - 15:30.
7) Mohammadzadeh, A., Valadan Zoej, M. J., 2008, A State of Art on Airborne Lidar Application in Hydrology and Oceanography: A Comprehensive Overview, International Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Beijing, China, PS WGI/2 (1): SAR Systems, July, 2008, 13:30 - 15:30.
8) Esmaily, M. R., Valadan Zouj, M. J., Sahebi, M. R., Mohammadzadeh, A., 2008, Satellite Image Fusion to enhance Masked Objects with Emphasis on Region based Methods, International Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Beijing, China, PS WG VII/6: Remote Sensing Data Fusion, July, 2008, 13:30 - 15:30.
9) Ekhtari, N., Valadan Zoej, M.J., Sahebi, M.R., Mohammadzadeh, A., 2008, Automatic building detection and extraction from lidar point cloud data and high-resolution imagery, IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium, Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A., July 6-11, 17:00 - 18:30.
10) Baligh, A., Valadan Zoej, M.J., Mohammadzadeh, A., 2008, Bare earth extraction from airborne LiDAR data using different filtering methods, ISPRS conference, Vol. XXXVII. Part B3b, Beijing, pp. 237-240.
11) Ekhtari, N., Sahebi, M. R., Valadan Zoej, M. J., Mohammadzadeh, A., 2008. Semi-Automatic Building Extraction from LIDAR Data and High-Resolution Image, Map India Conference, 6-8 February, Greater Nodia, India.
12) Owrangi, I., Rahnamaee, M., Mohammadzadeh, A., Afshin Sharifan, R., 2010, Using AVHRR-based vegetation indices for drought monitoring in south of Iran, Water2010: Hydrology, Hydraulics and Water Resources in an Uncertain Environment, Quebec, Canada.
13) Owrangi, I., Rahnamaee, M., Mohammadzadeh, A., Afshin Sharifan, R., 2010, Using SPOT-VEG Based Vegetation Indices Compared with AVHRR Based Vegetation Indices for Drought Monitoring in South of Iran, Remote Sensing and Hydrology 2010 Symposium, Wyoming, USA.
14) Haghigattalab, Mohammadzadeh, A., A., Valadan Zoej, Taleai, M., 2010, Post-earthquake road damage assessment using region-based algorithms from high resolution satellite image, Proc. of SPIE: Image and Signal Processing for Remote Sensing XVI, edited by Lorenzo Bruzzone, Vol. 7830, doi: 10.1117/12.864538.
15) Ghasemi, N., Sahebi, M. R., Mohammadzadeh, A., Bayani, R., 2011, Biomass Estimation by ALOS-PALSAR Images Using Wavelet Transform In Natural Forest Area, SPIE conference: LIDRA&RADAR 2011.
16) Ghasemi, N., Sahebi, M. R., Mohammadzadeh, A., Bayani, R., 2011, Evaluation of pixel-based Minnaert topographic correction method in a rugged forest, 3rd Conference on Earth Observation of Global Changes (EOGC 2011), 13 - 15 April 2011, Munich, Germany.
17) Ghasemi, N., Mohammadzadeh, A., Sahebi, M. R., Bayani, R., 2011, Comparison of topographic normalization methods in a rugged forest area, ICESE 2011 Conference, April 1-3, Bali Island, Indonesia.
18) Ghassabi, Z., Shanbehzadeh, J., Mohammadzadeh, A., 2015, A struture-based region detector for retinal image registration, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Quebec, Canada.
19) M. Salehi, A. Mohammadzadeh and Y. Maghsoudi, 2016, "Multitemporal multidimensional speckle filtering of PolSAR images," 2016 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Beijing, pp. 4749-4752, doi: 10.1109/IGARSS.2016.7730239.
20) Ahmadi, S.A., Mohammadzadeh, A., 2017, A simple method for detecting and tracking vehicles and vessels from high resolution spaceborne videos, Joint Urban Remote Sensing Event (JURSE), Dubai, UAE.
21) Amani, M., Ghorbanian, A., Mahdavi, S., Mohammadzadeh, A., 2019, Iranian land cover mapping using landsat-8 imagery and random forest algorithm, The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Volume XLII-4/W18, GeoSpatial Conference – Joint Conferences of SMPR and GI Research, 12–14 October 2019, Karaj, Iran.
Teaching Experiences and Supervision of M.Sc./PhD Thesis and Laboratories:
- During the past 10 years of teaching, I have given lectures for the following courses:
o Principles of Remote Sensing (B.Sc. level)
o Computer Programming: C++ and Matlab (B.Sc. level)
o Image Processing (B.Sc. level)
o Applications of Remote Sensing (B.Sc. level)
o Management of Remote Sensing Data (M.Sc. level)
o Optimization and its applications in Geomatics Engineering (Ph.D. level)
o Spatial and Radiometric Calibration of Remote Sensing Sensor (Ph.D. level)
o Fuzzy Logic and Artificial Neural Networks in Remote Sensing (M.Sc. level)
o Applications of Remote Sensing in Disaster Management
- Since 2020, I am responsible for the following courses:
o Airborne LiDAR Technology and Its applications (JKIP Students- KNTU & Twente University joint program in English)
o Airborne LiDAR Technology and Its applications (M.Sc. level)
o Terrestrial LiDAR Technology (B.Sc.)
o Physics of Remote Sensing (M.Sc.)
- During the past 10 years, over 40 M.Sc. students are graduated under my supervision of co-supervision and 3 Ph.D. students are graduated. Now three Ph.D. students are under my supervision and three professors from Sweden, South Aftrica and Japan are their co-supervisors.
- I established the faculty laboratory called “Laser Scanners” and now a bench mark data is available for public use through the FTP.
- Since 2018, I am serving as committee member of the faculty for evaluation and promotion of the academic staff to approve tenured position.
- I have reviewed many papers for high quality journals which some of them are Remote Sensing (MDPI), IEEE TGRS, IEEE GRSL, IJRS, PE&RS, ISPRS, RS Letters, The Photogrammetric Record, IEEE JSTAR, …
- I am Review Editor of “Frontiers in Remote Sensing”
- I am Editorial Board member of “Remote Sensing of Land”
- English (Professional)
- French (Elementary)
- Persian (Professional)
- Azeri Turkish (Mother Tongue)
- Spanish (Intended to learn)