Email: h.khanmirza (AT) kntu (DOT) ac (DOT) ir
Phone: +98 (21) 84062485
Manager of KNTU HPC Center
I received my Bsc, Msc and PHD from University of Tehran, Iran, in 2001, 2004 and 2015, respectively. My main interests are distributed systems specially in large scales (IoT, Sensor Networks) and Software-Defined Networking.
My research interest is Distributed systems and algorithms. Currently, I am working on the following topics:
Software-Defined Networking (SDN)
Rule compression in SDN networksSDN-enabled switches have TCAM memory to speedup packet matching operations with rules. However, TCAM memories are available in small capacities due to high power consumption and cost. In this research, we try to compress SDN rules to accommodate more of them inside the limited memory of switches or place rules.
Rule Placement Problem: Path Length TradeoffThis research aims to place extra rules in the data-plane by using spare rooms in tables of other switches. By this strategy, paths of flows get longer, but the load of the controller reduces significantly.
Live Streaming in SDN WorldWe measure and optimize different aspects of live streaming in the SDN world. Our measurements are done in a rather large hybrid IPv4 and SDN network to compare the performance in these two worlds.
We are working on a set of projects in collaboration with Distributed Systems group of Kiel University .
SDN meets IoTIn this research, we implement various protocols and algorithms for IOT networks with the new SDN paradigm. Our experiments is conducted on a real testbed, currently having 25 nodes.
Distributed Algorithms in IoT NetworksWe implement and measure various distributed algorithms in IoT networks specially in Bluetooth 5.0 networks
- Distributed Systems [Course Page]
- Advanced Computer Security
- Operating System
- Logic Circuits
- Programming Fundamentals (C)
- Advanced Programming Concepts (Java)
- Computer Networks
- Khanmirza H. (2021) .WildMinnie: Compression of SDN Rules with Wildcard Patterns. PeerJ Computer Science
- Oloomi, A., Khanmirza, H. (2019). Fault Tolerance of RTMP Protocol for Live Video Streaming Applications in Hybrid Software-Defined Networks. Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering Innovations (JECEI), 7(2), 241-250. doi: 10.22061/jecei.2020.6416.314
- Khani H, Khanmirza H. 2019. Randomized routing of virtual machines in IaaS data centers. PeerJ Computer Science 5:e211 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj-cs.211
- H. Khanmirza, "Mitigating energy hole problem with power control in heterogeneous sensor networks," 2017 Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE), Tehran, 2017, pp. 736-741, doi: 10.1109/IranianCEE.2017.7985136.
- Khanmirza, H., Yazdani, N. (2015). Strategic Network Formation Game for Energy Consumption Balancing. Wireless Personal Communications. doi:10.1007/s11277-015-2664-z (im:0.98)
- Khanmirza, H., and Yazdani, N. (2015) Game of energy consumption balancing in heterogeneous sensor networks. Wirel. Commun. Mob. Comput., doi: 10.1002/wcm.2606. (im:1.3)
- H. Khanmirza, O. Landsiedel, M. Papatriantafilou, “Evaluating Passive Neighborhood Discovery for Low Power Listening MAC Protocols”, The IEEE WiMob 2014 Workshop on Emergency Networks for Public Protection and Disaster Relief (EN4PPDR 2014), Larnaca, Cyprus, October 2014
- S. Zarifzadeh, Nasser Yazdani, and H. Khanmirza. 2007. “A Routing Framework for Load Balancing of Bandwidth Sensitive Traffic in Differentiated Service Networks”. Computer Networks 51, 4 (March 2007), 1183-1204
- H. Khanmirza, S. Zarifzadeh, and N. Yazdani, “ADPQ: An Adaptive Approach for Expedited Forwarding Traffic Scheduling,” in Proc. of IEEE ISCC’05, Cartagena, Spain, May 2005.
- S. Zarifzadeh, H. Khanmirza, and N. Yazdani, “Core Based Multipath Routing in DiffServ Networks”, in Proc. of IEEE ISCC’05, Cartagena, Spain, May 2005, *Nominated for Best Paper Award.
- H. Khanmirza, S. Zarifzadeh, N. Yazdani, "ADPQ: Adaptive Priority Queue, A Simulation-based Analysis", ICCC Sep 2004, Beijing, China
- H. Khanmirza, S. Zarifzadeh, Naser Yazdani, "ADPQ: Adaptive Priority Queuing", APCC Aug 2004, Beijing, China
- S. Zarifzadeh , H. Khanmirza, N. Yazdani," A Multipath Algorithm for Premium Traffic Routing in DiffServ Networks", ICON Nov 2004, Singapore
- S. Zarifzadeh , H. Khanmirza, N. Yazdani,"A Distributed Multipath Algorithm for Providing Bandwidth-Guaranteed Routing", APCC Aug 2004, Beijing, China
- H. Khanmirza, S. Zarifzadeh, N.Yazdani, "Comparison of Alternate Priority Queuing for Expedited Forwarding Per Hop Behavior", IST 2003, Isfahan
- Smart Office:
We implement and deploy a smart office system using BLE tags for tracking intended employees and guests. This system provides real-time tracking, historical heatmap, and geo-guarding (alerts when people enter locations not intended to enter!)
- Telemetry viewer and Command Planner for a national research satellite
Custom IPSec implementation from scratch
- A custom implementaion of IPSec protocol in Linux. It supports site-to-site and host-host and host-site configurations
- We successfully secured a virtual Windows instance using this protocol. We use a virtual windows and fully control its one virtual network adapter in the underlying Linux os. We also hide Linux even its boot process in a way that user only sees a Windows and totally not aware of running on Linux.
Academic Activities & Honors
- Young professors Grant Award
- Reviewer of IEEE Communications Magazine
- Reviewer of Scientia Iranica Journal
- Reviewer of JIST Journal
- Reviewer of ICSPIS 2020 (Conference on Signal Processing & Intelligent Systems)
- Blockchain and Bitcoin Opportunities and Challenges Workshop (6 hour workshop in my Distributed Systems Course)
- ONOS Workshop in ICEE 2017
- Reviewer of ICEE 2017 Conference (ّIranian Conference of Electrical Engineering)